If your evenings feel a little like Groundhog’s day, don’t just muddle through another boring evening. Mix up the mundane with a Basil Martini and some good music. If it’s been a long day, turn up the music in the kitchen, make a spirited cocktail, and slide into meal preparation mode. This basil martini is the drink of choice on the pre-dinner menu tonight.
Since vodka martinis are in large part straight up vodka, you must select a high quality vodka. Only certain brands will do. I recommend Grey Goose or Ketel One. If you really want to spring for a premium vodka, then perhaps choose Belvedere. Grey Goose is perfect though, it won’t completely break the bank and it has a smooth, creamy finish that is perfect for a vodka martini.
Cocktail hour on an ordinary evening makes for an extraordinary evening instead. Serve this Basil Martini tonight – cheers from me to you!
- Citrus juicer
- Cocktail shaker
- Fun martini glasses
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 ounce simple syrup Recipe below
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 ounces high quality vodka
- Splash of cold water
- Lots of ice
- Juice the lime into a cocktail shaker and add the simple syrup and fresh basil. Muddle those ingredients well.
- Once muddled, add the vodka.
- Add a splash of cold water and lots of ice.
- Shake the day’s stresses out on the shaker. Little shards of ice should be left in the drink. Best to shake to the rhythm of the music and invite your family to a dance party in the kitchen! Life is supposed to be fun right?
- Strain this marvelous concoction into 2 martini glasses and enjoy! Cheers from me to you!
For the Simple Syrup:
- Add one cup of water to one cup of sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and whisk the sugar until dissolved.
- Let the syrup cool and store in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Use for future cocktail hours.